Mowing your lawn properly will make a difference in how it looks throughout the year. Here are a few tips to help your lawn maintain its beauty throughout the season:
- Your first mowing should be at a height of approximately 1.5 inches. In the following weeks, raise your mower one notch at a time until you reach a mowing height between 2.5 and 3 inches. This length helps shade your roots and provides more leaf surface for your lawn to manufacture its own food. The proper height also helps your lawn retain its moisture during the warmer summer months.
- As a general rule, never remove more than one-third of the leaf blade in a single cutting.
- Be sure to sharpen your mower blade regularly. This helps avoid “tearing” of the grass blade, and makes your lawn less susceptible to disease.
- As the season winds down, start to reduce the height of your mower gradually so your last mowing is at a height of 1.5 inches once again. This will reduce any snow mold and help your lawn green up quickly next spring.
- If you share a grassy area with your neighbor, take turns mowing it. It’s always a good idea to pay it forward.
Proper mowing will help maintain the health and appearance of your lawn, and make it difficult for weeds to grow in. Follow these tips, and then sit back and enjoy the beauty of your landscape.
Introducing Buzz Boss by Green Drop